If you have ever grown cucumbers, then you know that once the plant matures and starts to bear fruit, all of a sudden there are cucumbers everywhere. They seem to grow with unnatural speed. So, then, what to do with all those cucumbers? Here is a great, and really easy recipe from, where else…Ottolenghi.
Sesame & Ginger Cucumber SaladAdapted from Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi 3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar 2 teaspoons sugar 2 Tablespoons olive oil 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil 1/2 a large red onion, sliced very thin 2 Tablespoons ginger, chopped 3 cloves garlic, chopped 1/4 teaspoon sea salt 4 small cucumbers 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine the first four ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the sliced red onion and set aside to marinate for one hour.
- Add the ginger, garlic and sea salt to the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Slice the cucumbers in half lengthwise and then slice down the length on a slight diagonal creating 1/8 inch half moon slices.
- Add the cucumber along with the toasted sesame seeds and cilantro to the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Let sit for 10 minutes, and drain any excess liquid from the bowl before serving.